Pages

Friday, July 4, 2014

Inspiration from the Garden

Since I spent part of the morning weeding the vegetable garden, I thought I would talk about vegetable quilts today.  AND the quilts don't have any weeds in them!  It seems like the weeds have been growing double-time this week.  I even pulled some radishes today.  I only planted them a couple of weeks ago.  They're really mild flavored, since they grew so fast and had plenty of moisture.
 OK, so much for the garden, and on to the quilts.
A while back, I was meeting with a small group of artists (mostly the painter types) at a person's home.  For this particular meeting, he made a trip ahead of time to the produce market and purchased several different kinds of fresh vegetables.  Then he set them up in still life arrangements and we were instructed to paint them.  I don't paint, so I sketched and took photos and came home and made small quilts featuring the vegetables.  They're roughly placemat size, but are not placemats, but wall hangings.

Cabbage and Celery

Eggplant and Onions

Swiss Chard

Tomatoes and Squash



One other time, I saw a too-far-gone tulip in a vase, and was amazed at the design in the center, which was much more visible with the petals fully open.  So I interpreted that in this little wall hanging called Full Blown Tulip.
Does your garden inspire your quilts?

No comments:

Post a Comment