Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Maple Leaf Quilt--Such Wonderful Fabrics

I don't know where this woman gets her fabrics, but I have never seen such a variety of wonderful and unusual fabrics in a quilt.  She left the choice of quilting designs up to me, her only specification being that the leaf needed some quilting in it.  I just did some wonky "veins" in the leaves, but all the background quilting in some way reflects the pattern in the fabric.
     The quilt was fun to do, in spite of the fact that first of all, I ran out of thread halfway through (misjudged how much there was on the cone) and had to wait for more to be ordered.  Then a week and a half later, when I got going on it again, I got down to the last row of blocks, and my machine malfunctioned.  So a 120 mile trip to the fix-it shop, and I had to leave it there for a week.  Meanwhile, I wanted to get the quilt finished, so I quilted the last row on my Janome.
     By the way, I called the repairman yesterday, and he said other than when I first brought the machine in, it has not malfunctioned after many many times of trying.  So no repairs, but he kindly did not charge me for shop time, either.  I still have to get someone to help me get it out of my van and back to work, so we'll see what happens then.  More quilts are waiting.

 Forty-two blocks, all different.  Only a couple of repeat fabrics in the backgrounds.

I had hoped the quilting would show up more in the backgrounds, but at least you get to see the wonderful variety of fabrics.  If you click on the picture, it will bring up a larger view, in which the quilting does show up a little better.






I'm hoping the saying, "Trouble comes in threes" means that things will go smoothly for a while.  Not only did the quilting machine malfunction, but the lawn mower decided to get finicky, too, and on the way home from picking up the machine, I picked up something in a tire, and had to buy a new tire.  So even though they did not charge me for machine repairs, it was an expensive trip.
Do you ever have days (weeks) like that?



No comments:

Post a Comment