Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

The T-Shirt Quilt Project

One day a lady called and asked if I could make a T-shirt quilt for her.  I said yes, and was pretty surprised when she brought this huge tote that  I could hardly lift, full of T-shirts she and her husband had collected over the years.  Not one quilt, but it's going to end up being four of them!.
The first one is the largest, comprised of 30 shirts representing the University of Michigan.  And I'm a Michigan State University grad!  (Archrivals in case you weren't aware of that)

Once I had all the logos cut out of the shirts, she came out and we laid them out on my living room floor in an arrangement that pleased her.  The quilt was to be queen size, so the easiest thing for me to do was to cut the batting a bit larger than it needed to be, and lay all the shirts on it.  That way I could construct the quilt in sections and lay them back in the right place.  Fortunately, I don't share my space with anyone else, so I was able to leave it on the floor for a few days.

After I had just gotten started with the quilting, my Lizzie had to be shipped to Utah for service.  ( I wrote about that in an earlier blog.)   It was gone for a month!  That was frustrating to say the least.
The quilting is pretty simple, outlining the blocks, meandering in each block, but not quilting through the letters, and some quilting in the pieced sashings.




The other three are all different themes and will be made over the next few months.
Happy Quilting!

1 comment: