Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

Lifestyle changes

This week's blog concerns  the "other random stuff", not quilts.
For years, I have not enjoyed cooking, and spend as little time in the kitchen as possible;  cold cereal for breakfast, sandwich and fruit for lunch, and a quickie supper, doing a lot of things I can portion and freeze so I don't have to cook again for a while.  I'll still do the latter, of course, as cooking for one doesn't make sense unless you do freeze some for later.  BUT....

A friend recently led a class at our church using for  reference a book she had been introduced to in Florida last winter, Brain Grain by Dr. David Perlmutter.  She also made mention of Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis.  After reading both of them, I'm convinced that I have been eating wrong for years.  No more "healthy whole grains" and low-fat stuff for me!  I'll not go into the reasons they give, but if you're interested, check them out.  Both have websites and blogs, and cookbooks.  In both cases, their conclusion is that gluten is BAD and carbohydrates don't do us much good either, except raise blood sugar and convert to fat.  So, I've pretty much purged my kitchen of gluten containing foods, and am working on the carbs.  So far, I've lost 6-7 pounds, feel great, my skin isn't so dry, etc.

I'm reasonably healthy, but I want to stay that way for a long time.  Lots of quilts to make yet, and life to live.  I'm enjoying preparing food more than I ever have; the challenge of finding recipes without gluten and carbs.  This is the perfect time of year, with the garden in full swing and farmers' markets having an abundance of fresh veggies.

I've also become aware of the dangers of the genetically modified (GMO) foods which make up most of our foods, and are dangerous to our health.  So I'm trying to buy organic and local whenever I can to minimize the exposure to the toxic chemicals sprayed on most of the crops in the US.

OK, off my soapbox.  You may not agree with me but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sorry no pictures.  I ate it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment