Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

Fundy--A Quilt full of Lighthouses







This quilt was made following a vacation in New England.  We particularly liked the Bay of Fundy area.  Five lighthouses set amid Snail's Trail blocks representing sky and water.  Pieced back has snail's trail, star, pre-printed lighthouse fabric.  Machine pieced, machine quilted with various threads.  Lighthouses included are:  East Quoddy and Mulholland lights on Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada and Whitlock's Mill, West Quoddy and Lubec Channel Light in Maine. 
Getting to the East Quoddy light is an adventure in itself.  You have to go down a ladder made from pipe, about 20 feet high (I don't like heights, so that made it even more exciting for me!), across a sand bar (actually more like gravel), up another ladder, across a tiny island, down another ladder, and then pick your way across the rocks to the even smaller island where the lighthouse stands.  This must be done at low tide, as the rocks and sand bar are under water at high tide, and the tide comes in very fast, so it is extremely dangerous to attempt crossing then.
My husband thought I had completely flipped when I attempted to get a photo of  Whitlock's Mill light, which is on private property and can only be seen from a distance.  I spotted it through the trees, so we stopped and I tried to get a good view of it.  I ended up standing on the edge of a cliff  above the river, holding the branches back so I could get a picture (remember, I don't like heights).  Then we drove on, and about 100 yards up the road was a little roadside park, with a path where the lighthouse could be viewed!
I was going to show a picture of the pieced back as well, but I apparently don't have one, and the quilt is currently in an exhibit, so I can't get my hands on it to take one.  

1 comment:

  1. I saw this quilt on Facebook and had to come here for the story. I LOVE what you did.

    ReplyDelete