Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Quiltomology 001: Ugly Bug Collection

Some years back, I was part of an online group which held a yearly "ugly" fabric swap.  It was meant purely to be a fun event.  Rules were posted on April Fool's Day, and the fabrics needed to be mailed to participants on April 15, tax day.
Each participant sent two "fat 1/16th pieces of the ugliest quilting fabric they could find to all the other participants.  There were 54 who participated in this particular swap, so I ended up with 108 pieces of ugly fabric.  Of course, part of the challenge was that we had to make them into a quilt.
I pondered long and hard about what to make.  I like plays on words, and I kept thinking, "ugly rugs", "ugly mugs", "ugly bugs".  That's it.  UGLY BUGS won.
I got a book on insects from the library and created some oversized bugs, using a piecing method I'm very fond of, freezer paper piecing.  My goal was to use only the ugly fabric, and to use all of it.  I didn't want it breeding in my stash!

I even found some plastic flies to scatter around the quilt top.  I drew the line at the plastic spiders I found, though.  I hate spiders.  Anyway, they are not insects.

 I had a few fabric scraps left, and I wanted to use them all.  At that time, I was doing a lot of back art on my quilts, so the back became another place to get rid of that ugly fabric.
The bug spray effectively made use of the rest of the "uglies".
Too much fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment