Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

What’s your favorite all-over quilting design?

Mine is meandering feathers. I love to quilt meandering feathers. I’ve never learned to use pantographs for edge to edge quilting, as that just doesn’t appeal to me, and I don’t think I’m coordinated enough to do it.  I do them both on my longarm quilting machine and on my domestic sewing machine.
 

 I first learned about them in Suzanne Earley’s book, Meandering Magic.  (It looks like the book is out of print but can be downloaded.)  Meandering Feathers is an allover design that can be done in many variations, goes quickly, but looks like you spent a lot of time on it.  This is a quilt I recently did for a customer, and I think the meandering feathers very nicely add texture to the quilt. 
It’s an easy design to quilt.  Just start out with a large meander for the spine.




Then go back and “feather” both sides of the spine as you would for a feather in a border.



The quilting is more visible from the back.





If you've never tried meandering feathers, try them on your next quilt.  They can be an allover design or used in the background as I've done in Celtic Vee:



Give Meandering Feathers a try, and let me know how it works for you.




1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try that with the meandering feathers! Very nice:-)
    LauraT

    ReplyDelete